Skip to main content

An unprecedented time


Okay I get it. This is real. For a while I thought it was a farce; a dystopian narrative like in a movie or a book that are so popular nowadays. Unfortunately, I was wrong. 

I never thought I'd live through a time like this when every day is worse than the day before and there's no end in sight, at least not for the foreseeable future. My training never prepared me for this. But fortunately, I’m a rational being and I'm not scared easily. Plus, my work gives me succor because I feel I'm making a difference.

The very nature of my profession (I’m a physician) has taught me to be calm and do my job. The problem though is the uncertainty. What was ‘the norm’ yesterday is taboo today and who knows what tomorrow will bring. This is a new disease and a new virus. There's no actual cure though there are multiple potential cocktails being flaunted and used. They haven't been diligently studied or tested but have brought vital hope. 

My thoughts change every day. It seems surreal now. A few weeks ago, I remember talking to a physician colleague about ‘this new infection’ rather casually. We were sharing news, talking about epidemiology, but all in such a way that it wouldn’t happen here. Then came the news of the first couple of cases in the area, and the ER prepared to tackle it with a hazmat suit.

Initially, we were only acting on high suspicion and contact tracing, but soon it changed. Now almost every patient is under investigation (PUI). And we are not wearing hazmat suits anymore, rather we are recycling our masks and PPEs. Anyway, it’s here now and thinking about why and whom to blame for it is too late, we need to think of the future and prepare. But then we've had warnings in the past, multiple in fact, that haven’t been heeded. Will it happen now? I hope so but only time will tell.

When they announced daily temperature screenings at my hospital, I started experiencing a new very real anxiety that despite all the precautions I could get sick too. I'm worried not for my health but for my family’s at home, especially for my 73 yr old mom who stays with me.


Yet there have been some surprising revelations too. Of how everyone has come through. Especially the patients who aren’t allowed any visitors particularly given the long hospital stays and how sick they are. They have shown an extraordinary degree of resilience and pragmatism even under the worst of circumstances. It’s like this disaster has brought us all together.

Looking forward now to the future and what it holds. I’m not sure if we’ll have a definite cure. What we need is a vaccine. We need to raise the immunity of the community. That would be the only answer.

Meanwhile I’m putting on a brave face, to hide my anxieties but also to allay the fears of those around me. I practice safe distancing not just outside but at home as well which has been very tough. 

I have finally started to justify my Netflix subscription. I meditate, introspect, read, rationalize (the more informed, the better prepared).

And of course, I wash, wash, wash my hands. 

Stay home, Stay safe!



Simi K. Rao is a practising physician and published author based in Denver, Colorado. She has written several novels and her latest work is a collection of poetry and short stories written from a woman's perspective. 
Find out more about her under the following links: 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking with tradition

Diwali is a celebration of good over evil, darkness over light and knowledge over ignorance. In India, Diwali surrounds us with excitement, extravagant shopping, fire crackers, exchanging gifts, feasting on lavish meals, wearing new clothes, buying jewelry and lighting up homes and neighborhoods with oil lamps. Streets are transformed into a whole new world, bustling with life, glittering with dazzling light bulbs, the air oozing with cheer, laughter and the spirit of festivity. A long stretch of holidays at work and school makes it possible for everyone to meet and greet loved ones living far away and spend quality time with those near and dear. Celebrations begin early in the day and last for days after the festival is over, leaving precious memories to linger in our minds. After moving to the United States in 2015, my definition of Diwali changed drastically. Though I followed all the traditions as I had in my home country, the feeling was never the same. The five-day festival that

The two of US

  The month of March is dedicated to my late grandmother. Just like March brings everything to life, she would add beauty and grace to everything around her. It is also her birthday month. Here’s a piece that brings back memories of my relationship with her. It’s the two of US There are times when I think she is me and I am her, Two peas in a pod, Two friends on a picnic, Two granddaughters playing board games, Two daughters on a stroll, Two mothers in prayer, Two artists soaked in inspiration, Two singers hitting the same notes in the song, Two minds with brilliant ideas, Two hearts overflowing with love, Two writers with unfinished novels, Two cooks with the same secrets in our recipes, Two creative souls with the same amazing genes, It’s true, I am HER and she is ME!

Welcome 2021

  A shimmer of light is crawling in, giving us hope to break free from the darkness that has engulfed us in different ways, since the start of the pandemic. This was a year when illness, unexpected death and hate raised their ugly heads, shocking me beyond belief. The year 2020 is finally reaching its end. 2021 is gently tiptoeing into our lives, carrying the promise for better things. I have been struggling for the best words to describe this hugely challenging year. I recently learned about a carinaria shell through Anthony Doerr’s book, All the Light we cannot see. A carinaria shell is simultaneously light and heavy, hard, and soft, smooth, and rough. This is exactly how this year has made me feel.  I feel like I have turned into a carinaria shell: heavy with pandemic fatigue and yet,  wearing a  light smile, thinking about the possibility of the bringing in newness, I feel  rough around the edges and still soft enough to soak in the goodness that brightens my days.   It has not be