Skip to main content

An ode to my writer friend

A Rich Soul

You were a rich soul Scott,
blessed with an abundance of words
laced with rhyme

Your wealth of experiences
reflected through your every word
enriching my mind
stirring my emotions
in ways that I did not know existed.

You wore your words like an armor
shielding yourself from the harshness of the world
Your words worked as a mirror
that bared your soul

Your kind words were your crown
making you stand out
in a world that was not as kind to you

You were a rich man Scott
and you left us with your priceless words
and precious memories
that have left us wanting for more.

A prolific poet, an artist, a friend and most importantly a noble soul, Dear Scott, you were the heartbeat of our writing group. You were a craftsman who effortlessly brought art to life with the rhyme and rhythm of your poetry. You were the master of breathing life into the words, which worked as a lens for us to watch your life in the past, present and the future.

"I wish everyday was Thursday," you would often say in your cheerful voice. Simple things like a friendly smile and a warm hug made you happier than anything else. It humbled me that someone could attach great value to such ordinary things, most of which we do without even realizing that we are doing it. "I am blessed, I cannot complain," you would say when I asked you how you were doing. Even as you said those words, I could see the constant anxiety and uncertainty hidden behind them. And yet, you wanted to camouflage them with the warmth of your smile. It felt like you wrapped your hunger pangs, tired body and aching soul in fancy paper, tied tightly with glittery ribbons, not allowing others to see the emptiness sitting heavily inside you.

Every Thursday until the past year, I have waited for you to read your poetry. You made us laugh, cry, cringe, think beyond ourselves, think harder, with the power of your perfect choice of words. Sometimes, your words felt like velvety rose petals caressing my skin, sometimes they stung me with anger, bitterness or pain, sometimes it made me laugh out loud, clapping my hands in joy and many other times, it left me deeply pensive and emotional, with thick tears rolling down my cheeks.

We had so much fun on this field trip to CPCC for Sensoria, 2018.
Scott is standing on the extreme left, wearing a red cap. 
There are no words to tell you how much you will be missed. Your words still echo in my ears, making me angry about your death. I pray that you are in a better place now my dear friend,
 because a pure soul like yours only deserves the best. I know you would love the poem that I wrote for you, my writer friend whom I will never see again, but lives in my heart forever.


May your soul rest in peace.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking with tradition

Diwali is a celebration of good over evil, darkness over light and knowledge over ignorance. In India, Diwali surrounds us with excitement, extravagant shopping, fire crackers, exchanging gifts, feasting on lavish meals, wearing new clothes, buying jewelry and lighting up homes and neighborhoods with oil lamps. Streets are transformed into a whole new world, bustling with life, glittering with dazzling light bulbs, the air oozing with cheer, laughter and the spirit of festivity. A long stretch of holidays at work and school makes it possible for everyone to meet and greet loved ones living far away and spend quality time with those near and dear. Celebrations begin early in the day and last for days after the festival is over, leaving precious memories to linger in our minds. After moving to the United States in 2015, my definition of Diwali changed drastically. Though I followed all the traditions as I had in my home country, the feeling was never the same. The five-day festival that

Welcome 2021

  A shimmer of light is crawling in, giving us hope to break free from the darkness that has engulfed us in different ways, since the start of the pandemic. This was a year when illness, unexpected death and hate raised their ugly heads, shocking me beyond belief. The year 2020 is finally reaching its end. 2021 is gently tiptoeing into our lives, carrying the promise for better things. I have been struggling for the best words to describe this hugely challenging year. I recently learned about a carinaria shell through Anthony Doerr’s book, All the Light we cannot see. A carinaria shell is simultaneously light and heavy, hard, and soft, smooth, and rough. This is exactly how this year has made me feel.  I feel like I have turned into a carinaria shell: heavy with pandemic fatigue and yet,  wearing a  light smile, thinking about the possibility of the bringing in newness, I feel  rough around the edges and still soft enough to soak in the goodness that brightens my days.   It has not be

The two of US

  The month of March is dedicated to my late grandmother. Just like March brings everything to life, she would add beauty and grace to everything around her. It is also her birthday month. Here’s a piece that brings back memories of my relationship with her. It’s the two of US There are times when I think she is me and I am her, Two peas in a pod, Two friends on a picnic, Two granddaughters playing board games, Two daughters on a stroll, Two mothers in prayer, Two artists soaked in inspiration, Two singers hitting the same notes in the song, Two minds with brilliant ideas, Two hearts overflowing with love, Two writers with unfinished novels, Two cooks with the same secrets in our recipes, Two creative souls with the same amazing genes, It’s true, I am HER and she is ME!