Skip to main content

Breaking with tradition

Diwali is a celebration of good over evil, darkness over light and knowledge over ignorance. In India, Diwali surrounds us with excitement, extravagant shopping, fire crackers, exchanging gifts, feasting on lavish meals, wearing new clothes, buying jewelry and lighting up homes and neighborhoods with oil lamps. Streets are transformed into a whole new world, bustling with life, glittering with dazzling light bulbs, the air oozing with cheer, laughter and the spirit of festivity. A long stretch of holidays at work and school makes it possible for everyone to meet and greet loved ones living far away and spend quality time with those near and dear. Celebrations begin early in the day and last for days after the festival is over, leaving precious memories to linger in our minds. After moving to the United States in 2015, my definition of Diwali changed drastically. Though I followed all the traditions as I had in my home country, the feeling was never the same. The five-day festival that I was used to disappeared and was quickly replaced by weekend celebrations with the Indian community. Of course, it felt like something was missing. This Diwali in the United States was significantly different. After living away from India for over three years now, I sought a unique way to make my Diwali memorable. Musing over several suggestions, nothing appealed to me. Finally, I decided to invite a bunch of students, living in my building for a meal at my house. I often meet them on my morning runs. I was apprehensive as they are all Americans and I had only recently met them. Happily, they accepted my invitation, making it possible for me to celebrate the festival in my own way. While I was cooking for them, there was a recurring chain of thoughts that chased me. I worried that the spice levels were too high, if everyone would enjoy the food, if there were enough desserts in case someone did not like so much spice. But all my doubts were put to rest as I watched them eagerly load their plates. My heart filled with gratitude as they relished the food that I had carefully prepared for them. It felt like they savored the celebration, though it was nothing close to the grand scale that I was used to. Their youthful presence had overcome my loneliness on Diwali. Their fascination with my culture made me feel proud of who I am. The smiles and the compliments showered on me made me forget my fatigue of the day. The evening grew brighter as I let myself drown in their energetic chatter, effervescence and enthusiasm for life. The small chunk of time that these students spent with me helped brush away my thoughts of being away from home on a festival that was synonymous with togetherness. I am amazed how my culture and tradition, such an integral part of my life and how it embellishes my life more when I share it with people who are not familiar with it. For a short while, my house buzzed with a joyous energy and the festive spirit of India. I became deeply emotional and was forced to hold back my tears as I was overwhelmed by the warmth of their affectionate presence. It lessened my longing to be in my home country on special occasions like this. This year, Diwali is a milestone for me. Breaking the cliché of past celebrations gave birth to a new world of possibilities. My first experience, celebrating my festival with non-Indians, belonging to a younger generation, taught me that there is no fixed pattern to celebrate a festival. I now know that it is okay to give my own personal touch to it. For me, this year’s Diwali was the triumph of togetherness over separation from loved ones, the light of friendship diminishing the darkness of isolation, reassuring me about a fact that I already knew; any festival comes to life when you put your heart into the celebration. Happy Diwali!

Comments

Deepti Kiran said…
So close to my heart as well!! Beautifully put down
Abhisha said…
Wonderfully written! It is always a pleasure to read your writing! :-) :-)
Surabhi Kaushik said…
Thank you so much Deepti and Abhisha. Thanks for taking the time to read it!
Unknown said…
Love it. This post can go viral if it get right platform.
Helina Gajjar said…
Truly it’s the moment that spread light into your life with sweet memories with all the new friends. May the divine light of Diwali continuously pour peace, prosperity & good Health. Best wishes - Helina Gajjar
Josh said…
Breaking old traditions to create newer and more fulfilling traditions. Spread the joy far and wide.
Josh said…
Surabhi, u so beautifully described ur feelings. Happy that u were able to conquer ur feelings of isolation... Cheers to new friendships and celebrations!!
ADi said…
Happy Deepavali! Very nicely written. Glad that Deepavali brought warmth all the way to Charlotte. Indic tradition and culture is uniquely flexible in that it allows us to make the best of what we have, and derive positivity from it.
Beautiful! You’ve reminded us of the essence of this festival that these days tends to be overshadowed by the paraphernalia. Thank you.. very well written.
Unknown said…
Your exquisite words touch my soul and remind me of the goodness left in this world.
Unknown said…
Enjoyed the read.
Michele Bailey said…
Surabhi-I am the mother of one the lucky students you so graciously welcomed into your home. She told me many wonderful things about that day and how she loved the meal you prepared for them. I am thankful for your generosity and kindness toward the group and for reaffirming for me that I have raised a young adult that is inclusive and eager to learn about other cultures.
Surabhi Kaushik said…
Thank you for your response! I am overwhelmed.
Surabhi Kaushik said…
Thank You Lisa. You are such a blessing
Ask said…
Lord Tennyson said” the old order changeth yielding place to new, lest one good custom should corrupt the world”. You truly brought the true meaning of this bringing in new meaning to tradition. So proud
creativemind said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah Baird said…
Happy Diwali! Wonderful post and what a beautiful way to celebrate.
Ravi K said…
Excellent. I liked the perspective. Your attempt to bring in the Deepavali ambience wherever you are..............is quite interesting. Keep it up.
Akta said…
Even I felt same this Diwali Surabhi, but I couldn't put my words so beautifully as you did. Thank you Surabhi...
Surabhi Kaushik said…
Thank you so much Akta. I am glad you could connect to this.
Nancy Kline said…
Your writing is wonderful as always and it shows that we’re all so much alike no matter where we’ve been born or where we live.

Popular posts from this blog

The two of US

  The month of March is dedicated to my late grandmother. Just like March brings everything to life, she would add beauty and grace to everything around her. It is also her birthday month. Here’s a piece that brings back memories of my relationship with her. It’s the two of US There are times when I think she is me and I am her, Two peas in a pod, Two friends on a picnic, Two granddaughters playing board games, Two daughters on a stroll, Two mothers in prayer, Two artists soaked in inspiration, Two singers hitting the same notes in the song, Two minds with brilliant ideas, Two hearts overflowing with love, Two writers with unfinished novels, Two cooks with the same secrets in our recipes, Two creative souls with the same amazing genes, It’s true, I am HER and she is ME!

Welcome 2021

  A shimmer of light is crawling in, giving us hope to break free from the darkness that has engulfed us in different ways, since the start of the pandemic. This was a year when illness, unexpected death and hate raised their ugly heads, shocking me beyond belief. The year 2020 is finally reaching its end. 2021 is gently tiptoeing into our lives, carrying the promise for better things. I have been struggling for the best words to describe this hugely challenging year. I recently learned about a carinaria shell through Anthony Doerr’s book, All the Light we cannot see. A carinaria shell is simultaneously light and heavy, hard, and soft, smooth, and rough. This is exactly how this year has made me feel.  I feel like I have turned into a carinaria shell: heavy with pandemic fatigue and yet,  wearing a  light smile, thinking about the possibility of the bringing in newness, I feel  rough around the edges and still soft enough to soak in the goodness that brightens my days.   It has not be