Skip to main content

Welcome 2021

 A shimmer of light is crawling in, giving us hope to break free from the darkness that has engulfed us in different ways, since the start of the pandemic. This was a year when illness, unexpected death and hate raised their ugly heads, shocking me beyond belief. The year 2020 is finally reaching its end. 2021 is gently tiptoeing into our lives, carrying the promise for better things.


I have been struggling for the best words to describe this hugely challenging year. I recently learned about a carinaria shell through Anthony Doerr’s book, All the Light we cannot see. A carinaria shell is simultaneously light and heavy, hard, and soft, smooth, and rough. This is exactly how this year has made me feel. I feel like I have turned into a carinaria shell: heavy with pandemic fatigue and yet, 
wearing a light smile, thinking about the possibility of the bringing in newness, I feel rough around the edges and still soft enough to soak in the goodness that brightens my days. It has not been easy for me to stay positive through this roller coaster phase. It has been a test for many emotions, questioned my resilience and made me doubt my ability to stay afloat against a hungry tide. It is not over, and I am aware that there are many more challenges ahead.

I am grateful for what I have and for having made it this far, despite the detour of circumstances. Technology has been my knight in shining armor during this crisis. I am grateful that I was able to not just connect with people whom I care about, but also bring together artists, writers, and creative souls, with the power of my words. I have been able to create a strong, safe, and supportive virtual writing community, for writers like me, who love to write together, energized in the inspiration from each other. I have been able to reconnect with old friends and make new ones, without meeting any of them in person.

Like always, my writing and the passion for my craft, has been my secret superpower, giving me the tools to carve out new opportunities, when I thought all the doors were closed. My writing helped me find a release for my thoughts and gain new perspectives in a time that brutally compelled me to push myself against my own rigid boundaries. The virtual writing community, and a ton of diverse books, have been my haven, and the retreat where I have recharged, rejuvenated, and filled my cup of creative energies, every time it threatened to look empty.

Even as I get ready to welcome 2021, I am aware of the triviality and the wholeness of it all. I am laughing at the unpredictability of the possibilities. Unlike other beginnings, this time I am more realistic and less prepared. Anticipation and expectation are safely tucked away, and I stand on the cliff of the new normal, half-heartedly embracing it. Yet, the optimist in me wants to see the best of everything.
As the brand new 2021 unmasks itself, I wish each of you, another fantastic three hundred odd days, in which you allow yourself to bloom, nourish and nurture yourselves in the best ways possible.

Comments

Unknown said…
That was really lovely, Surabhi! I agree that this year feels surreal and like two opposing things at the same time.
Unknown said…
True. Feeling the same.

Sable said…
Hi, Surabhi. This is Sandy. I love the idea of writing as your superpower. Good for you.
Sarah Baird said…
Beautifully written, Surabhi. Just like you, I am also grateful for the technology that has allowed us to stay connected to others throughout this difficult year.
Unknown said…
Yes, Surabhi! Keep using your "secret super power!" It will serve you well throughout 2021 -- and beyond! Lovely essay! Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Gowri said…
You mirror the feelings of so many, Surabhi. Your post is so relatable on so many levels. As you said, technology has helped so many jobs stay afloat and people realized that for a lot of jobs, they need not commute to work. While so many in the world had to see the worst of it all. Hoping for a better 2021 for the good of all. This was a good piece of reading. Thanks for this thought provoking article.
PS said…
As usual, beautiful words.. All of us appreciate the mundane lives now. You are truely a wordsmith. Happy New Year!
Gladys said…
I love to enjoy the craft of your work so much I plan to comment twice. I have to read it twice to make sure I received your "technology is my knight in shining armour." I feel the same way. The comfort and support you share touched from day 1. I share the comments of earned praise for a writing that highlights your writing skills and gives insight to readers. Thank you for sharing and motivatingme and other writers. Happy 2021!
It's been great getting to know you virtually through different writing groups. Great blog post! Thanks for capturing 2020 so well. Here's to 2021!
Beautiful, Surabhi! Writing is indeed your super power. (Not so secret any more, though!) Write on, and keeping gifting us with your vision and talent.
Love, light, and the happiest of new years to you and yours,
Maureen

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking with tradition

Diwali is a celebration of good over evil, darkness over light and knowledge over ignorance. In India, Diwali surrounds us with excitement, extravagant shopping, fire crackers, exchanging gifts, feasting on lavish meals, wearing new clothes, buying jewelry and lighting up homes and neighborhoods with oil lamps. Streets are transformed into a whole new world, bustling with life, glittering with dazzling light bulbs, the air oozing with cheer, laughter and the spirit of festivity. A long stretch of holidays at work and school makes it possible for everyone to meet and greet loved ones living far away and spend quality time with those near and dear. Celebrations begin early in the day and last for days after the festival is over, leaving precious memories to linger in our minds. After moving to the United States in 2015, my definition of Diwali changed drastically. Though I followed all the traditions as I had in my home country, the feeling was never the same. The five-day festival that

New blessings

  Trees are beginning to feel a little lighter. Leaves are changing their costumes, putting their make-up on, getting dressed to leave their old lives, making place for the new to take shape.  I try to add a spring in my step, crunching the dried leaves resting on the sidewalk. Patches of orange and green leaves, specks of yellow on a few others, deep reds peeping from the fresh greens are a welcoming sight for me. I am amazed at the way in which fall walks in year after year, accompanied by a quiet grace, making for gentle celebrations. There is a common thought that crosses my mind at the same time every year. Have I changed? What parts of me have I let go, fall away like the dried leaves that I just stomped upon? Where are my branches leading me? How much longer can I hold on to the green leaves? Am I prettier when I change color? This year is astonishingly different. The virus has changed nearly everything. It has taken away so much from us, including loved ones, jobs and the

The magic of writing groups

Writing is a solitary activity. I have seen, read and heard this line many times over and over. I have also met writers who need total silence and shut themselves away from devices and people and keep themselves open only to their thoughts and ideas. I agree that if you have quiet time and no distractions, you can churn out good content and meet burning deadlines. In today’s piece, I am going to walk you through quite the opposite of this. Writing groups. For the past five years, I have been actively participating in writing groups. When I first started out, I had no idea how helpful and inspiring it would be to write with a group of writers. Creative writing groups in public libraries and other avenues in the writing community in Charlotte have given me a taste of how it works. Though awkward and shy initially, I slowly realized that it was a community with a purpose. The purpose was to get your thoughts out on a paper or on a device. Prompts and the ways in which writers in the