Skip to main content

The magic of writing groups



Writing is a solitary activity. I have seen, read and heard this line many times over and over.
I have also met writers who need total silence and shut themselves away from devices and people and keep themselves open only to their thoughts and ideas. I agree that if you have quiet time and no distractions, you can churn out good content and meet burning deadlines.

In today’s piece, I am going to walk you through quite the opposite of this. Writing groups.
For the past five years, I have been actively participating in writing groups. When I first started out, I had no idea how helpful and inspiring it would be to write with a group of writers. Creative writing groups in public libraries and other avenues in the writing community in Charlotte have given me a taste of how it works. Though awkward and shy initially, I slowly realized that it was a community with a purpose. The purpose was to get your thoughts out on a paper or on a device. Prompts and the ways in which writers in the group used these prompts stimulated my mind and helped generate fresh and original content from my pen.

The groups that I am currently a part of are Write Like You Mean It, a weekly writing group hosted by the Charlotte Mecklenburg Library and Pen and Paper, a weekly writing group hosted by Charlotte Lit, a non-profit arts center, who engage writers in the craft, conversation and community of writing. 

Among the many things that I have gained through writing groups, accountability, committing myself to a specific writing time/word count, feedback, navigating through difficult plots and enhancing my writing through shared resources top my list. Meaningful interactions and honest reactions to my first drafts add a lot of value to the quality of my writing. It has been a whole different experience to read my work out loud to a bunch of people who are not my teachers or relatives. One of the ways it has helped me is through listening to different points of view. This has made my writing richer, deeper, and allowed me to pause or hold on to parts of my writing that I would otherwise completely ignore.
It also gives me a chance to be dedicated to my writing and connect with others like me. Encouragement and support walked into my writing life, without an invitation.

Since I reaped so many benefits out of several writing groups, I decided to start two of my own virtual writing groups this year. When the pandemic threw our lives on a roller coaster, I found that written words and people connecting through writing brought comfort and strength to each other. Greatly motivated, and wanting to give back to my writing community, I started two writing virtual groups, Fun to Write and Writers Beyond borders. Both groups have a select group of people who love to write and share their writing.
We also brainstorm our story ideas, discuss the hurdles we face during our writing process and share information on places to submit our finished pieces. 

The happy company of fellow writers is undoubtedly a big incentive to me. Apart from the fresh perspectives and insights on my writing, I enjoy the bond that we form with each other through a few words stringed together. It has helped me discover many parts of my writing self and reinforced my belief in the incredible power of story-telling to an engaged audience. I would love for you to share any similar experiences with me in the comments to this piece. 

If you are wondering where you can find such groups, the internet or word of mouth from trusted friends is my answer. There are plenty of writing / writer's groups you can find on or through social media. However, it might take some time for you to find the group that fits you best. Keep an open mind and watch out for the vibe from any new groups you join. Remember, that if being part of a certain group is not working for you, the option to abandon it is always open. 

Happy Writing!

 




 

Comments

Nicely penned Surabhi. I completely agree. Writing groups have definitely enhanced my writing. I’ve also made lifelong connections and great writing buddies through them
Surabhi Kaushik said…
Thank you so much Vidya. I am glad my piece resonated with you.
Megan said…
I can't wait until the pandemic is over, there are some writing groups in my area I definitely want to join! You're right, it's totally different to write with others around, but it's good (:
Unknown said…
I didn't even know how helpful writing groups were until I read this article! Very well written.
creativemind said…
Wonderful Megan. I hope you find the group that fits you the best.
Vasanthi said…
Couldn't agree with you more Surabhi. It has been a completely different experience with the Fun To Write group and I'm glad to be a part of it. Never thought I had it in me. Have learnt so much here!
Surabhi Kaushik said…
Thanks so much Vasanthi. I love that our group has been helpful and motivating to you.
Parag said…
Hi Surabhi, I heard the recent LOL podcast in which you were featured and was delighted to find out that you are from Charlotte. I did my master's in Computer Science at UNC-Charlotte in the late 90s and have now moved away from technology towards writing. I've also moved away from Charlotte and stay in India :-)

I write travelogues and short stories (from The Mahabharata) at the moment, although I may write across broader genres in the future.

Are your writing groups open for new members? If so, can you please suggest which of your two groups would be best for me? Perhaps, "Writers Across Borders?"

Thanks

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking with tradition

Diwali is a celebration of good over evil, darkness over light and knowledge over ignorance. In India, Diwali surrounds us with excitement, extravagant shopping, fire crackers, exchanging gifts, feasting on lavish meals, wearing new clothes, buying jewelry and lighting up homes and neighborhoods with oil lamps. Streets are transformed into a whole new world, bustling with life, glittering with dazzling light bulbs, the air oozing with cheer, laughter and the spirit of festivity. A long stretch of holidays at work and school makes it possible for everyone to meet and greet loved ones living far away and spend quality time with those near and dear. Celebrations begin early in the day and last for days after the festival is over, leaving precious memories to linger in our minds. After moving to the United States in 2015, my definition of Diwali changed drastically. Though I followed all the traditions as I had in my home country, the feeling was never the same. The five-day festival that

Welcome 2021

  A shimmer of light is crawling in, giving us hope to break free from the darkness that has engulfed us in different ways, since the start of the pandemic. This was a year when illness, unexpected death and hate raised their ugly heads, shocking me beyond belief. The year 2020 is finally reaching its end. 2021 is gently tiptoeing into our lives, carrying the promise for better things. I have been struggling for the best words to describe this hugely challenging year. I recently learned about a carinaria shell through Anthony Doerr’s book, All the Light we cannot see. A carinaria shell is simultaneously light and heavy, hard, and soft, smooth, and rough. This is exactly how this year has made me feel.  I feel like I have turned into a carinaria shell: heavy with pandemic fatigue and yet,  wearing a  light smile, thinking about the possibility of the bringing in newness, I feel  rough around the edges and still soft enough to soak in the goodness that brightens my days.   It has not be

The two of US

  The month of March is dedicated to my late grandmother. Just like March brings everything to life, she would add beauty and grace to everything around her. It is also her birthday month. Here’s a piece that brings back memories of my relationship with her. It’s the two of US There are times when I think she is me and I am her, Two peas in a pod, Two friends on a picnic, Two granddaughters playing board games, Two daughters on a stroll, Two mothers in prayer, Two artists soaked in inspiration, Two singers hitting the same notes in the song, Two minds with brilliant ideas, Two hearts overflowing with love, Two writers with unfinished novels, Two cooks with the same secrets in our recipes, Two creative souls with the same amazing genes, It’s true, I am HER and she is ME!