Skip to main content

New blessings

 


Trees are beginning to feel a little lighter. Leaves are changing their costumes, putting their make-up on, getting dressed to leave their old lives, making place for the new to take shape. 

I try to add a spring in my step, crunching the dried leaves resting on the sidewalk. Patches of orange and green leaves, specks of yellow on a few others, deep reds peeping from the fresh greens are a welcoming sight for me. I am amazed at the way in which fall walks in year after year, accompanied by a quiet grace, making for gentle celebrations.

There is a common thought that crosses my mind at the same time every year. Have I changed? What parts of me have I let go, fall away like the dried leaves that I just stomped upon? Where are my branches leading me? How much longer can I hold on to the green leaves? Am I prettier when I change color?

This year is astonishingly different. The virus has changed nearly everything. It has taken away so much from us, including loved ones, jobs and the joy of fearlessly meeting people. Struggling to cope with the pandemic has made me imagine the beginning of fall more than once in the same year. Initially I felt like the dead leaves, aimless and lifeless. As the months passed, I found myself wanting to shake off the withered leaves and allow little tints of color to seep in. Coping in ways I had never imagined I could, I felt like the autumn sun, the deep green leaves or like the mixed bunch of pink, crimson and bright yellow, with just enough space for a small patch of red.

Today, in the midst of this craziness, there are times when I feel empty like the bare branches of a tree during fall, deprived of meeting people or going places that would make me happier.
On a day when I make a difference in someone’s life in a virtual space, which is my only meeting place, I feel like a tree bearing the most delicious fruit, and on a day when things fall apart even when I try so hard to keep it together, I know that I have to welcome change like the leaves who willingly change their color, before they prepare for their departure from familiar spaces. Like everyone else I want this virus to be gone forever, leaving us alone to carve our own paths of newness and normalcy.

Until then, I watch, observe, learn with purpose, to understand that the splendor of endings is that they are the birthplace of new timelines.

Inspired by Pam Turner’s quote, “When my hands are full, it is not possible to welcome new blessings.”


Comments

Anamika said…
Beautiful imagery and metaphors!
creativemind said…
Thanks so much Anamika
I love this line: Until then, I watch, observe, learn with purpose, to understand that the splendor of endings is that they are the birthplace of new timelines.
Unknown said…
The way the virus changing everything shifts the entire narrative is really clever

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking with tradition

Diwali is a celebration of good over evil, darkness over light and knowledge over ignorance. In India, Diwali surrounds us with excitement, extravagant shopping, fire crackers, exchanging gifts, feasting on lavish meals, wearing new clothes, buying jewelry and lighting up homes and neighborhoods with oil lamps. Streets are transformed into a whole new world, bustling with life, glittering with dazzling light bulbs, the air oozing with cheer, laughter and the spirit of festivity. A long stretch of holidays at work and school makes it possible for everyone to meet and greet loved ones living far away and spend quality time with those near and dear. Celebrations begin early in the day and last for days after the festival is over, leaving precious memories to linger in our minds. After moving to the United States in 2015, my definition of Diwali changed drastically. Though I followed all the traditions as I had in my home country, the feeling was never the same. The five-day festival that

The two of US

  The month of March is dedicated to my late grandmother. Just like March brings everything to life, she would add beauty and grace to everything around her. It is also her birthday month. Here’s a piece that brings back memories of my relationship with her. It’s the two of US There are times when I think she is me and I am her, Two peas in a pod, Two friends on a picnic, Two granddaughters playing board games, Two daughters on a stroll, Two mothers in prayer, Two artists soaked in inspiration, Two singers hitting the same notes in the song, Two minds with brilliant ideas, Two hearts overflowing with love, Two writers with unfinished novels, Two cooks with the same secrets in our recipes, Two creative souls with the same amazing genes, It’s true, I am HER and she is ME!

Welcome 2021

  A shimmer of light is crawling in, giving us hope to break free from the darkness that has engulfed us in different ways, since the start of the pandemic. This was a year when illness, unexpected death and hate raised their ugly heads, shocking me beyond belief. The year 2020 is finally reaching its end. 2021 is gently tiptoeing into our lives, carrying the promise for better things. I have been struggling for the best words to describe this hugely challenging year. I recently learned about a carinaria shell through Anthony Doerr’s book, All the Light we cannot see. A carinaria shell is simultaneously light and heavy, hard, and soft, smooth, and rough. This is exactly how this year has made me feel.  I feel like I have turned into a carinaria shell: heavy with pandemic fatigue and yet,  wearing a  light smile, thinking about the possibility of the bringing in newness, I feel  rough around the edges and still soft enough to soak in the goodness that brightens my days.   It has not be