Skip to main content

My Not So Favorite Pupil



Teaching Surinder English was a nightmare. His handwriting was like ants doing a cabaret, pronunciation was a mystery since he avoided speaking to me in English and his marks were stagnant, like the puddle of rainwater, that never dried up.

I dreaded correcting his test papers. His spellings, lack of structure in the sentence and the empty words filling up the page was no less than a horror movie. I was more than just worried and worried for myself, more than him. If he did not score well in the mid-term exams this year, the principal was going to be upset with me again. I would be beyond upset, not able to forgive myself for not being a good teacher.

Honestly, I was doing my best. He was an average student, scoring fairly well in all subjects, except the horrifying ENGLISH. I stayed back after school hours, trying to make him read story books meant for younger kids, encouraging him to watch cartoons with English dialogue and sweated over translating every word in English from the Hindi version of Chacha Choudhary’s comics. I asked him to write the story in Hindi and narrate it in English. He wrote in Hindi and narrated it beautifully in Hindi. No progress with English. None whatsoever. We were at a dead end, all the time. Surinder exhausted me and I assumed I had the same effect on him.

Strangely, Surinder was not half as frustrated as I was. He was trying his best too. His parents told me that he worked on his English lessons, late into the night, trying to memorize the spellings.
He tried to read the Chacha Choudhary’s comics in English and narrated the story to them in Hindi. He tried speaking in English at home and watched his Hindi speaking parents beam with pride since they had no idea about what he was saying. They did not speak English nor understand it.

Sometimes learning a language is not your biggest asset, accepting your limitations is!  
Surinder was more realistic than I was. He was aware that learning English was not his cup of tea.
Perhaps, that frustrated me more. But he had another gift. The art of smiling under duress. Even when I was fuming with anger, my head looking like a volcano with fresh black fumes escaping from it, he smiled like an angel. The gift almost made me jealous of him. His smile was a strange mixture of innocence and helplessness, like a cute mouse caught in a trap and yet happily nibbling on the cheese!

A few years later, I landed in my dream job in the city. I was both guilty and relieved at leaving Surinder behind in the village. I continued to assume that he also felt the same way.
Nearly two decades later, I received an email from Surinder. The email said “Thank You” in the subject line. My eyes grew moist as I read the rest of it, more than once. Surinder had written,  “Thank you for inspiring me to read and encouraging me to read different kinds of books and magazines, in my growing years. I know I was a terrible student with English, but you made a positive impact on my life. In your effort to teach me, you made me feel the words, even when I could not speak or write them. I seek your blessings for my blog.”

I clicked on the link to his blog. The blog was in Hindi. It was a collection of his short stories and poems. Although I can read Hindi and love to speak the language, I am slow as a snail when I read.
 I mentally translated each word into English, struggling to focus and pick up pace. For once, I knew how it felt to be in Surinder’s shoes. A fuzzy feeling made its way into my heart. Tears trickled down my sagging cheeks. An adrenaline rush, piping with pride and gratitude settled in slowly.

 

--------------------------------------------THE END-------------------------------------------------------------

 


Comments

Charu Janak said…
Very well written Surabhi....many student's paths have changed by their teachers who have had their unique way with the kids...you have captured the essence very well...
Surabhi Kaushik said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Very beautifully expressed.
You made my day Suro by sending this to me on the Teachers day.! 🙏😀I have many interesting emotional heart _ touching experiences in 40 yrs of Teacing_ Learning process as a Teacher of all grades starting from Kindergarten to primary. Secondary and college !! These can become wonderful short stories only if I had writing skills like you!
I wish I was very close to your neighbourhood to get to attend your workshops
.!!
Congrats &thank you once again.
God bless you🙏
creativemind said…
Thank you so much. I am glad you enjoyed it.
KitCat said…
This is so beautifully written! I really love your work. A great look at teaching 😊💜
Unknown said…
Yeah! Great Story Surabhi! It kindles my memory about my favorite teachers. 💖💖

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking with tradition

Diwali is a celebration of good over evil, darkness over light and knowledge over ignorance. In India, Diwali surrounds us with excitement, extravagant shopping, fire crackers, exchanging gifts, feasting on lavish meals, wearing new clothes, buying jewelry and lighting up homes and neighborhoods with oil lamps. Streets are transformed into a whole new world, bustling with life, glittering with dazzling light bulbs, the air oozing with cheer, laughter and the spirit of festivity. A long stretch of holidays at work and school makes it possible for everyone to meet and greet loved ones living far away and spend quality time with those near and dear. Celebrations begin early in the day and last for days after the festival is over, leaving precious memories to linger in our minds. After moving to the United States in 2015, my definition of Diwali changed drastically. Though I followed all the traditions as I had in my home country, the feeling was never the same. The five-day festival that

The two of US

  The month of March is dedicated to my late grandmother. Just like March brings everything to life, she would add beauty and grace to everything around her. It is also her birthday month. Here’s a piece that brings back memories of my relationship with her. It’s the two of US There are times when I think she is me and I am her, Two peas in a pod, Two friends on a picnic, Two granddaughters playing board games, Two daughters on a stroll, Two mothers in prayer, Two artists soaked in inspiration, Two singers hitting the same notes in the song, Two minds with brilliant ideas, Two hearts overflowing with love, Two writers with unfinished novels, Two cooks with the same secrets in our recipes, Two creative souls with the same amazing genes, It’s true, I am HER and she is ME!

Welcome 2021

  A shimmer of light is crawling in, giving us hope to break free from the darkness that has engulfed us in different ways, since the start of the pandemic. This was a year when illness, unexpected death and hate raised their ugly heads, shocking me beyond belief. The year 2020 is finally reaching its end. 2021 is gently tiptoeing into our lives, carrying the promise for better things. I have been struggling for the best words to describe this hugely challenging year. I recently learned about a carinaria shell through Anthony Doerr’s book, All the Light we cannot see. A carinaria shell is simultaneously light and heavy, hard, and soft, smooth, and rough. This is exactly how this year has made me feel.  I feel like I have turned into a carinaria shell: heavy with pandemic fatigue and yet,  wearing a  light smile, thinking about the possibility of the bringing in newness, I feel  rough around the edges and still soft enough to soak in the goodness that brightens my days.   It has not be