Skip to main content

A Letter to the Child Who Made me a Mom




PCOS (Polycystic ovary syndrome). It’s a common syndrome in women, and for some it can cause fertility issues. 

As a young woman who wants children, this news is heartbreaking. On top of that, I was also 200 pounds overweight which has a whole set of childbearing restraints on it’s own. 
As far back as I can remember, as a little girl playing with her baby dolls, I dreamed of being a mommy. Holding my babydoll I would sing to her, rock her back and forth, and do all of the things I had seen my older sister do with her babies.

And that feeling never left my heart as I grew older. 

So now that we are moving closer to Mothers Day, I want to share a letter to the child who made a mom in honor of the single most special day of the year for me. 

My Long Road to Becoming a Mom

Dear McKenna,

At a young age, I was told there was a good chance I wouldn’t be able to have children, or at least it would be challenging because I had what is called
In my early 20s, I decided it was time to make some lifestyle changes, because I was tired of feeling the way I did, physically and mentally I was just not well. By the time I was 22 years old, I had lost over 200 pounds and was feeling the best I had ever felt in my life

And shortly after that I got pregnant with you -my very first child. 

I will forever remember the day I heard these words, It’s a girl! 

My heart was overjoyed, because I had beat the odds, not only in losing a substantial amount of weight, but also in the promise of my future. My future as a mom. 

You became the center of my world. I guarded your every step, I read to you, and held you tight. I pushed you high in the swing, and sang to you just to see the corners of your mouth bend upward. My heart pounded every single time I looked in your eyes. My love for you was swift and bold. I had never experienced anything more powerful in my life. 

I was and still am a proud mom. And now that I have four kids, I realize that being a mommy is the most important thing I’ll ever have accomplished in this lifetime. 

To the child who made me a mom

You taught me what it means to love someone else without condition. You filled my future with purpose and hope, unlike anyone or anything else had on this journey. And as we near the day we celebrate mom’s all around the world, I count my blessings. Because being a mom is such a special and life-changing experience. One that I will never take for granted.

Thank you, my child, for defining my life, for being the light that shines brightly in the darkest days, and being a beacon of strength in my heart that pulls me forward. You are and always will be my everything. And yes, you do have to share space in my heart with others, but there is something that no one else could ever have, and that’s being the one who made me a mom first. 

I love you more than words and I am so happy to be able to watch you grow into a beautiful young woman with her whole life ahead. I believe you are going to do great things with the life that I have helped to shape. You are perfect just the way you are in my eyes.  

Love always Mom


Bio

Nicole Emanuel is the creator and executive writer of a parenting lifestyle blog, Keep Calm its Life. She is committed to sharing her family’s journey on living healthy lifestyles, while motivating moms around the world to practice loving themselves away from perfect parenting. Nicole and her husband are busy raising a 13-year-old outspoken teenage girl and three boys, ages 7, 6 and 4 in Colorado. If you’re ever looking for healthy lifestyle tips, positive parenting, and self-care regimens please be sure to check out her blog. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking with tradition

Diwali is a celebration of good over evil, darkness over light and knowledge over ignorance. In India, Diwali surrounds us with excitement, extravagant shopping, fire crackers, exchanging gifts, feasting on lavish meals, wearing new clothes, buying jewelry and lighting up homes and neighborhoods with oil lamps. Streets are transformed into a whole new world, bustling with life, glittering with dazzling light bulbs, the air oozing with cheer, laughter and the spirit of festivity. A long stretch of holidays at work and school makes it possible for everyone to meet and greet loved ones living far away and spend quality time with those near and dear. Celebrations begin early in the day and last for days after the festival is over, leaving precious memories to linger in our minds. After moving to the United States in 2015, my definition of Diwali changed drastically. Though I followed all the traditions as I had in my home country, the feeling was never the same. The five-day festival that

The two of US

  The month of March is dedicated to my late grandmother. Just like March brings everything to life, she would add beauty and grace to everything around her. It is also her birthday month. Here’s a piece that brings back memories of my relationship with her. It’s the two of US There are times when I think she is me and I am her, Two peas in a pod, Two friends on a picnic, Two granddaughters playing board games, Two daughters on a stroll, Two mothers in prayer, Two artists soaked in inspiration, Two singers hitting the same notes in the song, Two minds with brilliant ideas, Two hearts overflowing with love, Two writers with unfinished novels, Two cooks with the same secrets in our recipes, Two creative souls with the same amazing genes, It’s true, I am HER and she is ME!

Welcome 2021

  A shimmer of light is crawling in, giving us hope to break free from the darkness that has engulfed us in different ways, since the start of the pandemic. This was a year when illness, unexpected death and hate raised their ugly heads, shocking me beyond belief. The year 2020 is finally reaching its end. 2021 is gently tiptoeing into our lives, carrying the promise for better things. I have been struggling for the best words to describe this hugely challenging year. I recently learned about a carinaria shell through Anthony Doerr’s book, All the Light we cannot see. A carinaria shell is simultaneously light and heavy, hard, and soft, smooth, and rough. This is exactly how this year has made me feel.  I feel like I have turned into a carinaria shell: heavy with pandemic fatigue and yet,  wearing a  light smile, thinking about the possibility of the bringing in newness, I feel  rough around the edges and still soft enough to soak in the goodness that brightens my days.   It has not be