Skip to main content

This too shall pass!

It’s been hard battling those feelings coupled with anxiety and unpredictability that is staring at us in the face. Like most of you, I am also suffocating with the social distancing, drowning in the fear of the unknown, my heart sinking every time I look at the growing numbers of COVID-19 cases around the world. While I force myself to laugh at the memes, forwards and the forced humor that is going around to distract me from the horror of the pandemic, I am missing meeting friends, my brand new & inspiring yoga class, participating at my local writing groups, worrying about the possible loss of the school year and swallowing the bitter pill that I might not be able to visit my home country this year too, after the unexpectedly long wait of five years. I am also working on accepting that it's going to be a while before my dishwasher is fixed. Cheers to more exercise for my fingers! The present crisis has made few unpleasant memories from the past surface. The emphasis on sanitizing surfaces, washing hands every time you touch something and sensible social distancing has taken my mind back a little over 13 years, when my son was in the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care) and I had to deal with a familiar frenzy in order to keep him safe and healthy. It might not be the best drawn parallel, but that was the first of my unpleasant memories that popped up. I am reminded of the fearful wait outside the NICU, when the pediatrician would give the status update, every day getting worse than the days earlier. Similar to this time, there were no definite answers to all the questions that were filling up the air with toxic uncertainty, self-doubt, deadlocks, forcing us to think that the worse is yet to come. Undoubtedly, it was a testing time, where prayers of friends, family, good wishes of strangers, other parents in similar situations came to the rescue. Lasting far longer than I thought it would and leaving me exhausted both mentally and physically, there was one lesson I learned, this too shall pass. One of the quotes that showed up when I was working on this piece is by Bryant McGill, "Crisis is what suppressed pain looks like; it always comes to the surface. It shakes you into reflection and healing." Like my best friend Tripura says, "There is a lesson in this, for each one of us." Mine has been that I need to be patient with time and accepting of the circumstances. At times like this, being patient and staying positive, despite the darkness surrounding us is the biggest challenge. And yet, it is one of the few things you and I can do. Also, I know you're probably wondering about the photo attached to this piece. It's not a display of my poor photography skills or bad phone camera. I selected it with a purpose. I want it to represent how I am feeling right now, but not quite there yet. The striking contrast of the happy looking red/orange flowers, finding comfort in the dry blades of tall grass surrounding them made it the perfect choice for this piece. I want to feel the hope of those flowers, mindful of what's around, but not letting it dampen the spirit of being alive. The spirit for survival, layered with hope, striving for well-being, even while living under isolation, fear and hopelessness. I know how best each of my loved ones are trying to deal with this. Trust me, this is easy for nobody. While we work on keeping ourselves safe, sane and help the community in whatever ways we can, let's put out our most positive vibes for the universe to end this pandemic at the earliest. Let us support each other as we discover better ways to cope and stay emotionally well during this difficult time. I am doing my best to do my part well to flatten the curve. I am sure you're doing yours too. Let's beat this together!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking with tradition

Diwali is a celebration of good over evil, darkness over light and knowledge over ignorance. In India, Diwali surrounds us with excitement, extravagant shopping, fire crackers, exchanging gifts, feasting on lavish meals, wearing new clothes, buying jewelry and lighting up homes and neighborhoods with oil lamps. Streets are transformed into a whole new world, bustling with life, glittering with dazzling light bulbs, the air oozing with cheer, laughter and the spirit of festivity. A long stretch of holidays at work and school makes it possible for everyone to meet and greet loved ones living far away and spend quality time with those near and dear. Celebrations begin early in the day and last for days after the festival is over, leaving precious memories to linger in our minds. After moving to the United States in 2015, my definition of Diwali changed drastically. Though I followed all the traditions as I had in my home country, the feeling was never the same. The five-day festival that

The two of US

  The month of March is dedicated to my late grandmother. Just like March brings everything to life, she would add beauty and grace to everything around her. It is also her birthday month. Here’s a piece that brings back memories of my relationship with her. It’s the two of US There are times when I think she is me and I am her, Two peas in a pod, Two friends on a picnic, Two granddaughters playing board games, Two daughters on a stroll, Two mothers in prayer, Two artists soaked in inspiration, Two singers hitting the same notes in the song, Two minds with brilliant ideas, Two hearts overflowing with love, Two writers with unfinished novels, Two cooks with the same secrets in our recipes, Two creative souls with the same amazing genes, It’s true, I am HER and she is ME!

Welcome 2021

  A shimmer of light is crawling in, giving us hope to break free from the darkness that has engulfed us in different ways, since the start of the pandemic. This was a year when illness, unexpected death and hate raised their ugly heads, shocking me beyond belief. The year 2020 is finally reaching its end. 2021 is gently tiptoeing into our lives, carrying the promise for better things. I have been struggling for the best words to describe this hugely challenging year. I recently learned about a carinaria shell through Anthony Doerr’s book, All the Light we cannot see. A carinaria shell is simultaneously light and heavy, hard, and soft, smooth, and rough. This is exactly how this year has made me feel.  I feel like I have turned into a carinaria shell: heavy with pandemic fatigue and yet,  wearing a  light smile, thinking about the possibility of the bringing in newness, I feel  rough around the edges and still soft enough to soak in the goodness that brightens my days.   It has not be