Skip to main content

Mother's Day

For a long time the only day I celebrated my mother was on her birthday. I would spend days writing poems, saving up money to buy her cards, chocolates and flowers or do something special for her. In my growing up years, Mother's Day did not exist. It came much later, along with the wisdom of how much a mother does for her children and that her sacrifices and unconditional love either go unnoticed or are taken for granted. The only other place which celebrated mothers was Bollywood movies and their highly emotional songs. Archies greeting cards was a close competitor. But now, Mother's Day is a universal celebration. The second Sunday of May is one day where my phone will buzz with non-stop messages and videos about the significance of it. Let me be honest. Being a mother myself, I also look forward to this day. Even if some of the messages that I get on my phone are repetitive or a little too flowery, I enjoy reading them. I find myself nodding in agreement to some of the quotes or feeling my heart tug at the lyrics in a song or the dialogue in a video because it captures my experience in a nutshell. The one thing that I love about Mother's day are the twin memories that it generates in my brain. Fond memories of the golden times that I spent with my mother as a child and the precious moments of my motherhood. I remember loving and hating my mother's cooking according to my mood swings, admiring the grace and elegance with which she carried herself, taking pride in the classy taste of her saris and her creativity with jewelry and interior decoration, laughing at her emotional outbursts when she watched movies (Now I react in the exact same way), arguing over things that hardly mattered, grumpily going to my music class (which I am now thankful for) wishing I had her green thumb and loving her much more than I tell her. Similar emotions run out as I think of my teenage son. Our days of struggle when he was in the NICU to the young man he is growing up to be. I find joy in my countless trips down memory lane admiring his baby pictures and videos, soaking in his adorable smile, his non-stop lively chatter, the warmth of feeling his chubby arms around me, fast forward to his teenage years where he thinks he is all grown up, but I know that he is still growing. I like that Mother's Day has the potential to generate moments that make our hearts melt and stretch our smiles for miles. For me, Mother's day is not a day to remind us that we are awesome moms or that we are doing a great job, because we would still do it, without changing anything about ourselves. But it's a day that allows the world to see how we feel and let's us see how the world feels about us. Happy Mother's Day

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking with tradition

Diwali is a celebration of good over evil, darkness over light and knowledge over ignorance. In India, Diwali surrounds us with excitement, extravagant shopping, fire crackers, exchanging gifts, feasting on lavish meals, wearing new clothes, buying jewelry and lighting up homes and neighborhoods with oil lamps. Streets are transformed into a whole new world, bustling with life, glittering with dazzling light bulbs, the air oozing with cheer, laughter and the spirit of festivity. A long stretch of holidays at work and school makes it possible for everyone to meet and greet loved ones living far away and spend quality time with those near and dear. Celebrations begin early in the day and last for days after the festival is over, leaving precious memories to linger in our minds. After moving to the United States in 2015, my definition of Diwali changed drastically. Though I followed all the traditions as I had in my home country, the feeling was never the same. The five-day festival that

The two of US

  The month of March is dedicated to my late grandmother. Just like March brings everything to life, she would add beauty and grace to everything around her. It is also her birthday month. Here’s a piece that brings back memories of my relationship with her. It’s the two of US There are times when I think she is me and I am her, Two peas in a pod, Two friends on a picnic, Two granddaughters playing board games, Two daughters on a stroll, Two mothers in prayer, Two artists soaked in inspiration, Two singers hitting the same notes in the song, Two minds with brilliant ideas, Two hearts overflowing with love, Two writers with unfinished novels, Two cooks with the same secrets in our recipes, Two creative souls with the same amazing genes, It’s true, I am HER and she is ME!

Welcome 2021

  A shimmer of light is crawling in, giving us hope to break free from the darkness that has engulfed us in different ways, since the start of the pandemic. This was a year when illness, unexpected death and hate raised their ugly heads, shocking me beyond belief. The year 2020 is finally reaching its end. 2021 is gently tiptoeing into our lives, carrying the promise for better things. I have been struggling for the best words to describe this hugely challenging year. I recently learned about a carinaria shell through Anthony Doerr’s book, All the Light we cannot see. A carinaria shell is simultaneously light and heavy, hard, and soft, smooth, and rough. This is exactly how this year has made me feel.  I feel like I have turned into a carinaria shell: heavy with pandemic fatigue and yet,  wearing a  light smile, thinking about the possibility of the bringing in newness, I feel  rough around the edges and still soft enough to soak in the goodness that brightens my days.   It has not be