Skip to main content

Making gratitude a lifestyle

I promise you these are not preachy words on a busy Thanksgiving morning. But, it’s that time of the year when it gets colder outside but warmer inside the house, surrounded by our loved ones. It’s also the season when hope and gratitude find a place in people’s hearts and homes. We all have our own struggles that we are facing every day and sometimes life is so hard that it’s a challenge to be grateful. But in happier times, I do put a few moments of my daily stress away and feel grateful for everyone and everything that makes my life worthwhile by bringing joy and adding value to it. Often during Thanksgiving, I have been drawn into discussions about how this season of giving makes people think beyond themselves. It’s important to count our blessings and be thankful for a lot of things that we take for granted otherwise. I recently fell into a discussion with my student friend Zach Freeland. “Finding value is a lot harder when you’re more fortunate,” he says. I was amazed at his words which got us talking about the topic, making us jump from college education to core values that drive us to be who we are. He further elaborated about how he feels fortunate to go to college and his heart bleeds when he sees other students his age, struggling to make ends meet. He told me about his granddad putting money aside for all his grandkids, to fund their college education. While he is grateful for his good fortune, he feels a pang of guilt when he sees those who are less fortunate. I was astonished at the meaningful thoughts that ran in his vibrant, young mind. His connectedness to lesser privileged students, coupled with gratitude for the comforts that he had been blessed with, warmed my heart. It felt strange that I have a similar conversation with myself almost every single day. I told him that I had the exact same thought process about myself, but from the other side of the grass. When I see scores of women dressed in business casuals walking to their plush offices in Uptown Charlotte, I battle with my thoughts, fully convinced that given my educational qualifications and years of experience, I could easily be one of them, stopped only by my visa status. Having said that, I have realized that living in a new country has shaped my personality differently. I have learned to welcome and to be grateful a whole new set of experiences that I might not have had otherwise. I now embrace uncertainty like a blanket in the cold and enjoy the ride, no matter how bumpy it is! I think gratitude is certainly one of the healthiest human emotions. Learning to be thankful for what we have and realizing its significance is undoubtedly the secret to turning your life around and living in positive abundance. Echoing Zach’s thoughts, I now value what I have, and I am thankful for it. I am convinced that gratitude is not a perspective, it is a lifestyle. Happy Thanksgiving! This piece was originally published on momspresso.com Here's the link https://www.momspresso.com/parenting/writersmindsurabhi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking with tradition

Diwali is a celebration of good over evil, darkness over light and knowledge over ignorance. In India, Diwali surrounds us with excitement, extravagant shopping, fire crackers, exchanging gifts, feasting on lavish meals, wearing new clothes, buying jewelry and lighting up homes and neighborhoods with oil lamps. Streets are transformed into a whole new world, bustling with life, glittering with dazzling light bulbs, the air oozing with cheer, laughter and the spirit of festivity. A long stretch of holidays at work and school makes it possible for everyone to meet and greet loved ones living far away and spend quality time with those near and dear. Celebrations begin early in the day and last for days after the festival is over, leaving precious memories to linger in our minds. After moving to the United States in 2015, my definition of Diwali changed drastically. Though I followed all the traditions as I had in my home country, the feeling was never the same. The five-day festival that

The two of US

  The month of March is dedicated to my late grandmother. Just like March brings everything to life, she would add beauty and grace to everything around her. It is also her birthday month. Here’s a piece that brings back memories of my relationship with her. It’s the two of US There are times when I think she is me and I am her, Two peas in a pod, Two friends on a picnic, Two granddaughters playing board games, Two daughters on a stroll, Two mothers in prayer, Two artists soaked in inspiration, Two singers hitting the same notes in the song, Two minds with brilliant ideas, Two hearts overflowing with love, Two writers with unfinished novels, Two cooks with the same secrets in our recipes, Two creative souls with the same amazing genes, It’s true, I am HER and she is ME!

Welcome 2021

  A shimmer of light is crawling in, giving us hope to break free from the darkness that has engulfed us in different ways, since the start of the pandemic. This was a year when illness, unexpected death and hate raised their ugly heads, shocking me beyond belief. The year 2020 is finally reaching its end. 2021 is gently tiptoeing into our lives, carrying the promise for better things. I have been struggling for the best words to describe this hugely challenging year. I recently learned about a carinaria shell through Anthony Doerr’s book, All the Light we cannot see. A carinaria shell is simultaneously light and heavy, hard, and soft, smooth, and rough. This is exactly how this year has made me feel.  I feel like I have turned into a carinaria shell: heavy with pandemic fatigue and yet,  wearing a  light smile, thinking about the possibility of the bringing in newness, I feel  rough around the edges and still soft enough to soak in the goodness that brightens my days.   It has not be